December 17, 2013

Updates: Holiday Food Names and Winter Cabin Names

A quick note: I updated my 1950s name makeover posts just slightly with two or three corrections on name stats. It turns out I was looking at the last popularity number on a couple of the original names, instead of the (absent) rank for 2012. I blame motherhood.

My latest post for Name Candy is all about baby names inspired by your holiday cooking. It includes some trendy spice names and food names that just may appear in your favorite dishes this season, from Apple to Sherry. Check it out!


I was eager to create a holiday-inspired baby names list that was a little different, and I had a lot of fun creating that list. But...in the back of my mind, I had another list idea. I decided not to publish it, but changed my mind at the last second to include it here as a sort of "bonus" thrown in amongst my updates. My hesitation stems from a few things—it's a little unfinished, some of the names are kind of a stretch, and many of these names are already part of my Christmas and Holiday Names List, or they feel like they belong with another list altogether. That's one of the great things about writing about names. One post leads to another, and this one seemed like an interesting brainstorm that could (and did!) create ideas for a better list down the road.

So, with all of those disclaimers in mind, I give you... (drumroll!)



Aspen
A classic holiday ski destination and a nature name, Aspen is on an upward trend for girls.

Brecken
Inspired by another ski resort town, Breckenridge, the word "Brecken" means freckled.

Coco
I included Coco in the list I wrote for Name Candy—it's a charming name meaning "chocolate" emerging from the realm of nicknames into formal names, helped along by Courtney Cox.

Cosette
I warned you, didn't I? Cosette is my contrived way of getting to the nickname Cozy. It conjures up snuggling by the fire for me, sorta, but Cosette is the French feminine form of Nicholas. She's also my favorite character from Les Miserables.

Diamond
This gem name came to me via ski trail symbols...not that I've ever been past the bunny hill.

Everly
I love this trendy name, which is an Old English word meaning "from the boar meadow". For this list, though, I was thinking of evergreens, bringing us a little color and life in the midst of a snowy winter.

Juniper
I recently wrote about this nature name. It's a more direct reference to evergreens, perfect for this time of year.

Oakley
Oak is the wood of choice for cabin-themed furniture, and the name Oakley is Old English for wood clearing.

River
A river doesn't exactly scream "winter cabin" but my favorite ski resort towns feature a prominent and picturesque mountain stream.

Rosy
Roses may not be in season during the winter, but rosy cheeks are. Did I mention I came up with many of these names while up with my baby in the middle of the night?

Snow
This name is a much more fitting choice for the theme. It's a pretty word and I think it would make a great middle name.

Winter

This one is my favorite of them all. It's a lovely nature name and comes with the fashionably old-fashioned nickname Win and Winnie.

Thanks for bearing with me! And let me know if you can think of any other cabin-ish names for this time of year. I took a lot of creative license, so you have to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment